The so-called ‘Green Pond’ is that colour because it is covered with a thick blanket of duck weed. The pond provides the water supply to the nearby ‘Lost Fountain’ which has previously been restored by Friends volunteers and so dates back to the same era – to before 1844.

The pond is up to 12 feet deep and contains litter which has accumulated because it is hard to remove. Fully clearing the pond is quite a task as it depends on gaining access along all the banks which at present is difficult due to bordering vegetation that has grown up over the year. So, although a great deal of material has now been taken out of the pond, the task remains work in progress, to be resumed later this year when the bankside vegetation has died back.